My Review of Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

9:00 AM Vi Win Win 1 Comments

The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

Greek mythology, paranormal intrigue, a juicy romance - this book has it all. Armentrout wastes no time in reeling the reader in with action, mystery, and excitement; I was hooked from the start. I 'd have to say, the synopsis didn't really draw me in and it doesn't do the book justice at all. If you're expecting another typical paranormal romance novel, you'll be pleasantly surprised because Half-Blood is anything but typical.

Reminiscent of The Mortal Instruments, fans of that series will devour Half-Blood. Armentrout draws the reader in with an action-packed first chapter that leaves you wanting more. Alex is sarcastic, outgoing, adventurous, and a force to be reckoned with. She adds humor and light to the story and I immediately liked her, which is uncommon for me since the lead girl usually starts out so niave and irritating that I'm always subconsciously yelling at her for being so immature (but she eventually grows at the end and I still root for the girl). I loved that she was so tough and that she never really cared what other people thought about her, which is the kind of girl I like. Armentrout gives Alex a sense of strength and character you'll find irresistible. And don't get me started on Aiden!

Ah, Aiden...must all the authors out there create such a swoon-worthy male lead? Aiden's presence is seen from the start and you feel an instant connection between him and Alex. Their chemistry and rare, but steamy intimate scenes had me holding my breath waiting for what would happen next. And the twist of fate between Alex, Aiden, and another mystery man will have you questioning destiny and whether or not you control your own life.

I enjoyed all the characters in this book, even the evil ones, and I think Armentrout did a great job in recreating ancient myth for the modern world. I honestly couldn't put the book down and devoured it in no time. Yes, it's THAT good! Waiting around for Pure, the next book in The Covenant Series, will be pure torture!


*Please Note: This review was originally posted on my personal blog, Vi3tBabe, and was re-published here on Deity Island for fans of the series to get a more comprehensive overview of my thoughts and opinions of Jennifer's books in one place.*

1 comment:

  1. Great review and so true. I completely loved this series and Alex and am dying for some more kick-buttery!

    ReplyDelete