My Review of Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

9:00 AM Vi Win Win 0 Comments

Starting over sucks. When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up. And then he opened his mouth. Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. The hot alien living next door marks me. You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. If I don't kill him first, that is.

First of all, let me start by saying how I love that this book is about a book blogger. That was probably one of the highlights of the book overall. I also liked that the story is a bit different in that it deals with aliens, instead of the usual paranormal creatures we see all the time. I adore Jennifer Armentrout’s writing and she creates clever and amazing characters and after reading this book, I’m a fan of Katy, for sure.

Katy is a book blogger, and a cheeky one at that. I loved all the references to book blogging and smiled every time I came across an In My Mailbox or when she was overjoyed at receiving books to review from publishers. It definitely hit home and would resonate well with any book blogger out there. I loved that Jen brought out some of emotions and truths about the book blogging world and it’s a good eye-opener for those who aren’t.

I enjoyed the steamy moments between Katy and Daemon, but I didn’t really like his character. Their relationship was a bit forced and unbelievable for me, and the secondary characters weren’t as developed as I would’ve liked them to be, although I loved Dee (Daemon’s sister). I enjoyed Katy as a character, being a mix of naive and stubborn, and there was a particular moment involving some spaghetti that I simply loved. Katy’s sarcasm and wit was definitely a plus for this one. There wasn’t a lot of action in the book, and it took me a bit to really get into it. While I enjoyed Jen’s first novel, Half-Blood, more so (one of my fav books this year), I liked this book and will definitely pick up Book 2.

*Please Note: This review was originally posted on my personal blog, Vi3tBabe, and was re-published here on Deity Island for fans of the series to get a more comprehensive overview of my thoughts and opinions of Jennifer's books in one place.*

0 comments: